September 2015 Board Meeting Notes

Seedskadee TU Board Meeting


5:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Fish Bowl Restaurant, Green River

(West side of Uinta next to Little Bear Motel)


Attendance:  Robb, Pat, Scott, Eddie, John, Calvin, Amy (taking notes)

Non-voting:     Tom Koerner (Seedskadee Refuge)

Ø  Agenda additions?

-          None  5:35

Ø  Old Business

·         August executive session - All

-          Review and approve notes.  Calvin & Pat to stay on the Board.

·         River Walk –Amy

-          How did it go? 61 completed the course. Lucy counted over 70 stamps @ her station. Ran from 9-12 earlier than last year in an attempt to beat the heat. Still took people close to 2 hours to complete. They were very engaged & had fun. The 6 Conservation Corp volunteers were excellent.  Aja Witt won the Whitewater float trip. We got 2 new members. Nick was on the radio promoting it.

-          Next year Advertise independent of the Riverfest. Get on the radio. Extend the time from 9-1:00 Have the people running the stations stay longer than the posted event. People were running to make it at the end. Perhaps the time of the month impacted # It was the last weekend before school started. People were out of town school shopping & camping. Have the Fire Dept & invite the local kayakers to have demonstrations out in the water. Perhaps have a water event ourselves if we can secure insurance through TU.  Next year have our set up booth closer (might interfere with the runners) to the bridge as they cross onto the island to engage people sooner. Amy will send a list of TU members that were at the event to Scott.

·         Seedskadee Chapter TU pamphlet– John

-          Time to finalize Discussed adding the specific date to TKFD but tied us to it so no. Mission Statement-partnership weakens our mission. The pamphlet shows who we work with anyway.  Take it out in two places on the pamphlet. Scott moved to drop partnership John 2nd passed unanimously.

·         Lying and Tying - Eddie

-          Update Our 1st event Thursday  September 10th, 6:30 PM in room 2015 at Western Wyoming Community College Green River Campus. They will be tying a LaFontaine Floating Damasel & a Henry’s Fork Yellow Sally supply list sent via email 9-2. Flyers are going up in GR Shopko, Smith’s, Wyoming Embroidery, Ace & in RS Ace, Smith’s Alberstons.  Robb also is having it run on the Chamber sign. Robb, Eddie, Ted & Nick will look into what improvements could be made to have it at the TU office- specifically: lighting, tables and television.


Ø  New Business

·         Dec – Christmas Party

-          Need a project lead. Ask our membership at the Meeting if there is interest

-          Where?  What? Maybe a potluck.  Call it a Holiday Party, maybe move it to January.  Individuals have complained about the price & the service in the past.

·         STU – getting the word out:

-          Radio Network - Robb

                                                                          i.      Rainbow Project

1.      150 free radio spots across 5 stations

2.      Funders - OCI and Halliburton

a.       Thank you notes

3.      Condition - no paid advertising through other media sources

-          Green River Chamber of Commerce - Robb

                                                                          i.      Current members TU’s office pays for this membership currently.

                                                                        ii.      Lots of opportunity to get STU in front of people - handout

-          Rock Spring Chamber of Commerce - Robb

                                                                          i.      Not a current member $125 to join.

                                                                        ii.      Lots of opportunity to get STU in front of people - handout

                                                                      iii.      Establish a membership?

1.      Motioned by Eddie 2nd by John. Unanimous. Scott wrote the check & Robb will delivery Thursday

-          Seedskadee TU Facebook page

                                                                          i.      How do we connect with people with Facebook? Should we post fishing reports?

                                                                        ii.      How do we keep Facebook current? Promote Educational stories not preaching.

Upcoming article about Fishing on the Reds.

                                                                      iii.      Project lead?

-          Seedskadee TU Webpage

                                                                          i.      How do we connect with people with Seedskadee Webpage?

                                                                        ii.      How do we keep the webpage current?

                                                                      iii.      Project lead – Hillary has volunteered Tom brought up having a bank of usable photos in a Flicker Account as a repository to hold photos that everyone could upload and share pictures there for both Facebook & TU webpage.

-          Sweetwater Now

                                                                          i.      How can they help us?Anything free to the public they will run as a news story

                                                                        ii.      Are we buying advertizing? They are now in partnership with the Radio Network so that shouldn’t hurt us with our new arrangement with them.

                                                                      iii.      Project lead?

·         Ideas for future chapter meetings -John

-          A greeters table with sign-in spreadsheet on laptop, agendas, membership info, upcoming project handouts, fishing info etc with a "greeter" staffing it

                                                                          i.       Amy will start doing that but as board members we need to mix and mingle ahead of time plus get there sooner from the board meeting.

-          STU member name badge - worn by members, new members get theirs at the next meeting as do members who are attending for the first time. Badges would need to be designed and made for the usual list of attends

                                                                          i.      John moved to have greeters and name tags. Scott 2nd  three in favor 3 opposed 1 abstained. Motion failed.

-          A drawing for 1-3 items. Must be wearing name badge to win.  Tickets purchased?   For $1 for one item. 

                                                                          i.      Amy made a motion to spend $150 give out 2 or 3 per meeting. Calvin 2nd passed unanimously.  Calvin will buy it and have it ready for 1st meeting.

-          Develop a video/book sharing library for the chapter check with Nick & Hillary to see if that is okay Call it the Norm Piner Fishing Library.  He has already donated videos & Amy bought a shelf. 

                                                                          i.      Amy motioned 2nd by John Passed unanimously.

-          Meetings might have a 10-15 minute meet and greet Robb will add this to the agenda

-          -3 featured flies every meeting, free drawing for same or fly swap fundraiser at one meeting. Get our fly tyers into raising some $ for chapter Eddie will bring this up to the Lying & Tying Group. Calvin has some leftovers from previous year and will bring them.

-          Spend some money and have a patch made. About $400 for 100 patches. Either giveaway to volunteers at projects or sell. Not enough interest.  Need to announce to the chapter they can get their own shirts or vests, hoodies done for ~$12

-          "Business card" to giveaway. Anyone can have one, available at Chapter meetings

                                                                          i.       John Motioned Scott 2nd for Calvin will make a draft and check out Vista Print and TU toolbox.  Will present a draft to the board for approval.

·         Red Creek – habitat project

                                                                        ii.      Project lead - Janae Neff

                                                                      iii.      Chapter outing planned for October 3 Needs more enclosures & more material. Tom might be able to help. Nick knows where to buy 12-14 more panels.

·         Ideas for spending STU’s money

-          Portable steel jack fence for protecting Red Creek riparian habitat

                                                                          i.      $20 per foot with donated pipe Amy will check with Bunning & Kevin Spence on what type of pipe was used. Last time Wexpro donated it to the MMF. Can we even get it in there?  How much pipe would be need? How much would it weigh?

                                                                        ii.      Fence make from drilling stem pipe Was it tubing or drill stem?

                                                                      iii.      Look at protecting 500 to 600 foot of riparian, channel and spawning habitat

                                                                      iv.      Cost: $24,000.

1.      STU request - $5k No vote was taken just in the research phase

2.      Look for grants and partners to leverage $5k with

·         Hats and decals

-          Ordering more STU decals – Hillary had ordered some for women’s float. Calvin  check into getting better quality Most are fading after a year

-          Status of hat supply – Scott Still have over 30 hats on hand. He will bring them to the women’s event and try to sell some.

-          STU hats for ladies – Amy Withdrawn- we have too many hats on hand.


·         Upcoming chapter activities and projects -  September, October

-          Lying and Tying

                                                                          i.       September 10th @ 6:30 pm (always 2nd Thursday of month)

                                                                        ii.      WWCC (GR campus), room 205

-          Women’s Float

                                                                          i.       Sept 9 Guide Planning meeting @ Hillary’s

                                                                        ii.      Casting Class Friday September 11th   @ Weeping Rock Camp Ground

Casting class 5 pm Dinner Scott Neff & family

                                                                      iii.       Float Saturday Sept 12th  7 am Weeping Rock

-          Chapter Meeting

                                                                          i.      October 13th @ 6:30 to 8:30 pm

                                                                        ii.      Outlaw Inn, Rock Springs

                                                                      iii.      Upstairs Room above restaurant

-          SNWR Ditch Salvage

                                                                          i.      Middle to late October

1.      Tentatively Oct 24 – need to talk with Tom Koerner

                                                                        ii.      Hamp I and Powell Ditch?

1.      Hamp I – EF ditch and net pond

2.      Powell Ditch - EF

                                                                      iii.      Eddie Baker (Chapter lead); John Walrath (WGFD lead)

Meeting adjourned 8:15

Not discussed

-          Telemetry Flights

                                                                          i.      CRC tracking Henrys Fork Adopt-a-Trout

                                                                        ii.      Cost:  $1000.00

-          Radio Tags for BBT tracking

                                                                          i.      Tagging BBT in FGR for tracking into the Green River

                                                                        ii.      Cost:  $270 per tag for a total of $850.

-          Green River habitat structures

                                                                          i.      Purchase rock – partner with SNWR and WGFD

                                                                        ii.      Install rock - partner with SNWR or WGFD

                                                                      iii.      Cost:  To be determined?

-          Hot water signs:

                                                                          i.      Seasonal signs for access roads and boat ramps on SNWR to educate folks on the consequences of:

1.      fishing when water temps are over 68F

2.      targeting fish on reds

-          Cottonwood and Aspen plantings

                                                                          i.      Purchase blue tubes and stakes

                                                                        ii.      Cost:  To be determined

·         Programs to promote fly fishing and improve fish habitat at the area high schools? - John

-          Does National TU have any such programs for education

-          Is TU a fly fishing only organization?

·         Travel and Tourism Grant – Fish Bowl - Hillary

-          $$$ for event advertizing – draw folks from out of county

-          $$$ for event planning and implementation


·         Upcoming chapter activities and projects -  October

-          Adopt-a-Trout/burbot – Green River

                                                                          i.      Project leads Nick Walrath and John Walrath

                                                                        ii.      Classroom events will need help this fall

                                                                      iii.      Help is needed p tracking BBT and BNT

                                                                      iv.      Interested folks call John Walrath (307-875-3202) or Nick Walrath (307-532-0753)

-          Green River Side Channel surveys

                                                                          i.      Project lead – Kevin Spence (WGFD)

                                                                        ii.      Update – Rick Shablo (Williams) as of Sept 2 is over half way through the survey work of the side channels on SNWR.

-          Planting on Trout Creek (Ramsay Diversions)

                                                                          i.      Project lead – Nick Walrath

                                                                        ii.      Mid to late October – more details when a date is picked

                                                                      iii.      Need to wait until after leaf drop

                                                                      iv.      Will not need a huge crew

                                                                        v.      More details when a date is picked.

****************************Future Board Agenda Items**********************************

·         Potential future Chapter meeting presentations:

-          Yellowstone Lake Update

                                                                          i.      Spring 2016 - Dave Sweet?

-          Update on the Big Sandy River sill project

                                                                          i.      Maintenance work completed in 2015

                                                                        ii.      Work to be completed in 2016

                                                                      iii.      Challenges

                                                                      iv.      Presenter – Kevin Spence – WGFD

-          Carp fishing presentation

                                                                          i.      Presenter – Famous Charlie Card

-          Fontenelle Reservoir release

                                                                          i.      What governs how and when water is released

                                                                        ii.      Presenter – BOR or people can attend Fontenelle Working Group Meeting

-          Armoring of the face of Fontenelle Dam

                                                                          i.      Need, purpose and consequences

                                                                        ii.      Consequences to Fontenelle Reservoir and the Green River below

                                                                      iii.      Presenter – Wyoming Water Development Commission and/or Bureau of Reclamation

-          Update on Soda Lake – what happened to the brown and brook trout populations?

                                                                          i.      What does the future hold?

                                                                        ii.      Presenter - WGFD Pinedale Fisheries management crew

-          Update on CRC restoration efforts – Trout Creek, Gilbert Creek, LaBarge Creek, Future

                                                                          i.      Presenter – WGFD Green River/ Pinedale Fisheries management crew

-          Entomology of the Green River

                                                                          i.      Presenter – USGS crew sampling Green River below Fontenelle

                                                                        ii.      Presenter contact – Tom Koerner

-          Trout fishing when the water is hot - consequences to trout?

                                                                          i.      May 2016 – Possibly Wayne Hubert, someone else?

·         TU Conservation Tour – July 25-26 - Pat

-          Update

·         2016 chapter projects?

-          Projects?

                                                                          i.      Ideas?

·         Review Seedskadee Chapter mission statement and By Laws

-          Do bylaws need to be updated

-          Include management and access to Seedskadee g-mail account

·         Review and audit of the chapter financial records

-          Need?  How do we get there from here?  Who conducts audit?