January 2015 Board Meeting Notes

Seedskadee Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Board Meeting

14-Jan-15

7 pm to 9:15pm

Attendance: Robb Keith, Calvin Hazlewood, Pat Newell, Scott Neff, Joe Skorupski, Amy Hazlewood, Nick Walrath

1.      Supplemental insurance

a.       Cover more stuff (i.e. chain saw injury, damage property)

b.      Scott mailed the check 2 weeks ago, Jan. 2015 ($150 a year)

c.       On www.tu.org

i.      Search for liability insurance

2.      Robb's very short preamble and vision

a.       Thought someone needed to step and take this role to keep the chapter alive and well.

b.      Will only be a ONE YEAR term.

c.       Robb will make sure that either side (TU or WGFD) will be represented unbiasedly, as he wears either hat.

d.      If anyone sees Robb is stepping over one side or the other. We are to talk to him aside and let him know.

e.       Robb will sept aside on project decisions that could be a conflict of interest.

3.      February meeting

a.       February will stick with the same place and time

b.      The 5th at WWCC (7pm)

i.      Calvin will try and get room 1333 again

c.       Confirming with Travis Neebling (GF) will be presenting FGR research @ Feb mtg.

i.      Joe will confirm with Travis

ii.      Give him location and time

iii.      Done.

d.      How to promote it

i.      Amy will help promote this program

1.      ACE hardware and sporting goods stores

4.      Select a new day for meetings this year

a.       Survey 28 people responded

i.      Calvin went over stats and comments

ii.      There was no day that really stood out better than the others

1.      Tuesday and Wednesday had the most votes

2.      Talk to Calvin if you want the numbers

iii.      Earlier start date was in the comments.

b.      Calvin, suggestion is to start at 6:30pm

c.       Scott/Nick Suggestion is to change it to Tuesday

i.      Because of Church obligations on Wednesday

d.      Amy motions to move meetings to Tuesday and start at 6:30pm

i.      Scott adds to move to 2nd Tuesday of each month.

1.      Pat 2nds the motions

2.      All in favor = 8

3.      Motion passes

ii.      Seedskadee TU’s March meeting will be Tuesday 10th @ 6:30pm

5.      Consider having board meetings and chapter meetings the same night

a.       Start time for board meeting?

i.      Calvin moves to have the board meetings on the same night as the chapter meeting @ 5:00pm, and those meetings to be held at the Log Inn.

ii.      Pat 2nd

iii.      All in favor = 8

iv.      Motion passes

b.      Robb will confirm with the Log Inn for the March Meeting (5:00pm – 9:00pm)

6.      Robb needs to go to the Bank of the West and get on the bank account.

7.      Check for USFS "Cooler Raffle" permit

a.       Scott will write a check to the Forest Service (done)

b.      Scott will also write a check to Nick for the Raffle coolers. (done)

8.      Cooler Raffles - when and where to sell the tickets

a.       Different colors tickets for each derby

i.      We have a blue roll of tickets, Amy will buy one other color (done)

ii.      Monday before the derby tickets will go on sale

1.      “Soft” sale, Facebook and word of mouth only

2.      Tickets will be sold at the Green River TU office

b.      John Walrath will help sell tickets at Cruel Jacks

i.      Nick will make a bucket and poster for John

c.       Burbot Bash, check-in is 9am to 8pm

i.      WGFD, UTDNR, will help sell tickets.

ii.      Will need to bring table chairs

iii.      Calvin will look for a ticket bucket

1.      Minnow bucket?

iv.      Pat will bring a cash box

v.      Nick is working on a presentation board

9.      Chapter meetings - content and purpose

a.       What do we do?

i.      Purpose

1.      TU is not a fishing club, it is a organization

a.       The more we can cover at the board meetings the better

b.      But we will need to cover some of the topics in a public meeting

c.       It is a meeting to show transparency of the board.

d.      The meetings are opportunities to engage others

ii.      Content

1.      Try and have a program,

a.       Educational

b.      Cool trip

c.       Amy would like to keep the round robin fishing stories from members.

iii.      Put Meeting Program ideas on the next board meeting agenda

1.      Check old agendas, for program ideas

2.      Project up-date program

3.      Or something engaging with project work

10.  Existing committees and chairs?

a.       Hatching box chair, Membership chair, Education Chair, Women Chair, Take a kid fishing Chair

b.      Is it time to rethink responsibilities?

i.      Talk about all the projects for the year at one of the next Chapter meetings

ii.      Solicit a “project lead” for each project

1.      Red Creek

2.      Seedskadee ditch shocking

3.      Fly Fishing Film tour

c.       Take a Kid Fishing Event – Amy

i.      Will talk to Cody

ii.      Cabala’s, Sportsman Warehouse

11.  Active members - how do we recruit them in the digital age

a.       Attendance raffle

i.      Ticket for non-board membership event.

1.      Chapter

2.      Project

ii.      By person not family

iii.      Tacking

1.      Signup sheet at each event

iv.      Pat will build a rod

1.      Calvin motion to buy the rod for Pat to build.

a.       8’6” 4wt not over $200

b.      All in favor = 8

c.       Motion Passes

12.  Scheduling presentations for future meetings - revisit Novembers list

a.      Table for next board meeting

b.      Steve Wolf, Presentation about the “Law of the River”

i.      And the implementations of a Compact call to us and our fisheries.

13.  Chamber of Commerce Sign - Opportunity for Advertising and Support

a.       Calvin will talk to Brian about $

14.  Commissioner license – loose ends?

a.       We are selling the tag at the MFF Banquet, March 7th

15.  Fish screen - loose ends?

a.       Fish Screen extra Parts need to go to Headquarters

b.      Screen goes in the river April

16.  Project healing waters

i.      8 vets

ii.      April 20-23

iii.      Fishing the 21-22

iv.      Robb will give Tom a call

17.  Fontenelle working Group

a.       April 15th

18.  Order more hats

a.       Calvin and Scott will go and get hats.

19.  Fly Fishing Film Tour

a.       Gary is looking into the Broadway and Holiday Inn

20.  Iron Fly

a.       April 10th or 11th or 24th or 25th.

Nick is working on it.